Not long ago, Kate asked me if I would be interested in doing a chair shabby chic style and asked if I happened to have any vintage linens. Little did she know that I have been collecting old linens for years, just waiting for the right opportunity to do something with them other than dress my table and my bed. I also happened to have a comfy, but not so pretty, $5 yard sale chair in need of a makeover. The two of us combined resources, talent, and determination. It was quite an auspicious match!
We spent about 9 hours measuring, cutting, and stitching together this cover. We used 4 separate linen tablecloths, one of which was ivory and had some gorgeous embroidery and crochet-work we wanted to highlight. The other tablecloths were pure white. We made cording to bridge the separate colors. Last night I brought home the finished project, and I could not be more pleased!
Front view. The skirt, arm covers, and flap over the top cushion contain the fancy needlework.
We kept the silouhette simple to allow the needlework to stand out; it would have just been lost in dressmaker details like ruffles or gathers.
And lastly, here is the chair back in its old spot in my living room. As I said before, I am just thrilled with how it turned out.
Working with Kate was such a pleasure, and I learned a ton. I may even try this again on my own at some point in the future. All you collectors of vintage linens, take note. There is no limit to what can be done with a little imagination and a little know-how.
Until next time...